THE UNIBANK GREENWAY CHALLENGE
a Whitin Community Center program
AN ADVENTURE RACE... LIKE NO OTHER!
Saturday September 24, 2016 , 9am
The mission of the Unibank Greenway Challenge is to promote the recreational quality of life in the Blackstone River Valley. A program of the Whitin Community Center, presented by Unibank and supported by other partner organizations, the Greenway Challenge supports clean water campaigns, hiking and biking trails, wildlife projects, environmental education and development of waterway access.
Each year, the Greenway Challenge athletes run, paddle and bike on a course designed to bring you through one of the most beautiful and historic regions of New England, the Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor located between Worcester, MA and Pawtucket, RI.
This annual race is quickly becoming one of New England's premier adventure races. Be sure to check out the testimonials!
Awards and Divisions
Teams of athletes run, paddle, and bike an approximate 50-60 mile course as a relay team in one of several divisions. Teams can be comprised of up to nine members in any combination of men, women, and youth (16 or older). Athletes in our Ironman/woman divisions complete the entire course on their own with the help of one support person who moves equipment between segments.
Awards are presented to the Top 3 finishers in each division.
If your heart beats purely for the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat, this is where your team needs to be.
Teams competing in this category must be comprised entirely of co-workers from the same organization, either for-profit or nonprofit.
Ladies, here’s a chance to pick up some hardware for your efforts. Teams in this category must by made-up of all female competitors.
The Greenway Challenge is an ideal event for senior athletes, and a great opportunity to stand on the award stage with the “kids.” All participants on Masters teams must be 50 or older.
Want a day with a lot of fun and a maybe a little competition? Then, this is the division for you.
If you have the spirit and determination to do the whole course on your own, then this is the division for you. Ironman/Ironwoman compete with the aid of one support person.
While we want you to be competitive and complete the Challenge, we must put the safety of all our athletes first. The race requirements are not flexible. Each transition site team is instructed to notify the Race Official if anything that is questionable. Thank you for your understanding.
- Teams must provide necessary maintenance equipment, food, water, supplies, and transportation for team members during the Greenway Challenge from the Start to the Finish Line.
- Participants must be age 16 or older. Ages 16 - 18 must have parental permission/signature on Liability Waiver and Photo Release Forms.
- Canoe or Kayak, whatever your paddling craft is, the Greenway Challenge requirements are that you wear personal flotation devices (PFDs). Not wearing an approved PFD means disqualification of the person and their team.
- Cyclists are required to wear approved helmets. Not wearing an approved helmet disqualifies the person and their team.
- Runners are required to wear shoes. Not wearing shoes will disqualify person and their team.